WHOIS Recommendation of the Security and Stability Advisory Committee [SAC 003]
- The accuracy of WHOIS data used to provide contact information for the party responsible for an Internet resource must be improved, both at the time of its initial registration and at regular intervals. WHOIS records known to be false or inaccurate must be frozen or held until they can be updated or removed. WHOIS records that have information that can not be validated may be frozen or held until it can be verified
- A standard format for WHOIS data must be developed
- WHOIS data must contain a "Last Verified Date" that reflects the last point in time at which the information was known to contain valid data. It must also contain a reference to the data verification process.
- A WHOIS service that supports searching in the current architecture of distributed indices and separated registry and registrar services must be developed.
- A publicly available list of publicly available WHOIS servers must be available using a widely known and available resource, e.g., a web page or DNS SRV records
- WHOIS services must provide mechanisms to protect the privacy of registrants.
- A WHOIS service must discourage the harvesting and mining of its data.